Trips to the surroundings
The city of Beroun is a starting point for trips to the Czech Karst Protected Area, 130 km² in size. It is famous for its karstic phenomena, including caves that are some of the largest in the Czech Republic, fossil finds and especially its beautiful countryside. Northeast of Beroun there is another Protected Area, Křivoklátsko. It covers over 600 km² and its central part is made up by the Berounka River valley. The dense network of trails enables you to make trips to the vicinity of Beroun on foot as well as on bike or on horseback.
The Čerťák Gallery was founded in the summer of 2004 after the general reconstruction of the administrative area of the Čertovy schody lime works in Tmaň near Beroun.
The gallery is accessible with a guide within the Tetín tours.
The chateau courtyard in Všeradice offers a wide range of cultural and sporting events. The renovated granary features M. D. Rettigová’s Museum.
In the pedestrian zone below Karlštejn Castle there is a unique exhibition of clocks. You can take an extraordinary walk back through time, learning about the development of the art of clock-making from the 16th to the 21st century. The collections feature over 650 exhibits from all over the world.
There are about fifty Christmas cribs exhibited on the three floors of this Baroque building below Karlštejn Castle. The one that attracts most attention is the largest Czech moving crib, which takes up over 80 square metres.
Only the church steeple has remained of the oldest buildings of the Benedictine monastery. The building of the convent was begun by abbot Matouš Ferdinand Sobek of Bilenberk immediately after the church was finished in 1661.
Below the dominant rock that looms 159 metres over the village square, on a long lower ridge stands the Exaltation of the Holy Cross Chapel. According to legend it is situated on the exact spot where John the Baptist met hermit Ivan and gave him a wooden cross with which to exorcise evil spirits.
St. John’s Cemetery features a beautiful chapel in the neo-Gothic style built by architect Bernard Grüber of Munich. Grüber was a professor of architecture at Charles University in Prague. The stonemasonry work was done by Prague stonemason František Jedlička.
One of the smallest Czech villages, Svatý Jan pod Skalou, is situated below a massive rock face in the very heart of the Karlštejn Nature Reserve. In Svatý Jan there are fourteen registered historical sights protected by the state.
The Celtic oppidum in Stradonice was built on Hradiště Hill. The oldest stage of the fortification dates back to 120 B.C. In its heyday the fortification protected a total area of about 90.3 hectares.
The beginnings of the Czech state are connected with nearby ancient Tetín, which was the seat of the first Czech Princess, Ludmila, who was murdered there in 921. Not only have the ruins of the medieval castle been preserved in the village, but also the remains of a ninth-century Slavic fortified settlement.
In its time, the iron ore mine in Chrustenice (1861–1965) was among the largest and most important mines in the Barrandien area. It had 84 underground storeys going down to a depth of 426 m, i.e., 120 metres below sea level.
The Museum of Limestone Quarrying and Transport in Czech Karst is operated by the Barbora Association. This open-air museum documents the development of limestone quarrying in the Czech Karst throughout history. An attraction for visitors is a ride in original miners’ cars pulled by mine locomotives.
Visitors can look forward to a tour of a traditional log house from the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries with a barn, stables and sties. You can see a residential house with a cellar, a room, chambers and scullery.
In 1874, the Prague Iron and Steel Society (Pražská železářská společnost) began to dig a pit on Homolka Hill near Vinařice. A nine-metre coal seam was uncovered 515.2 metres underground on 28 September 1878.
In the spring of 2010 during archaeological excavations near Lochovice, four prehistoric settlements were discovered – the remains of the perimeter walls of houses and the grave of a young Celtic girl.
Visiting the Wax Museum in Karlštejn can be an excursion back through Czech History. You will meet famous figures such as Charles IV, Rudolph II, Maria Teresia, Czech revivalists, as well as imitations of medieval craftsmen and scenes from the Hussite Period.
The museum is situated on the newly built premises of the old rectory near the Saint Peter and Paul Church, where permanent exhibitions of Jarmila Novotná and Svatopluk Čech are located.
The Czech revivalist, linguist and translator, Josef Jungmann, was born into a shoemaker’s family in Hudlice near Beroun. After studying philosophy and law he became a teacher in Litoměřice and later in Prague.
The Tetín Museum provides information especially on the history of the village and on the local fauna and flora. There are examples of archaeological finds, remains of vessels and other items.
In 1824, music composer and teacher Josef Leopold Zvonař, who was an important figure in the Czech National Revival, was born in Kublov. His native village did not forget him and dedicated to him a memorial hall, which is situated on the first floor of the former school, which is now a kindergarten.
The permanent exhibition entitled From the History of Žebrák provides information on the town’s history and the development of crafts. Visitors can see a copy of King Václav IV’s document giving Žebrák the status of a town, as well as seals and examples of mayor’s laws from the 17th and 19th centuries.
The Koněprusy Caves (Koněpruské jeskyně) are situated in the Czech Karst Protected Area in the Zlatý kůň hill near the village of Koněprusy, not far from Beroun.
Karlštejn Castle, surrounded by the nature reserve of the same name, is probably the most frequented tourist attraction. It is a masterpiece of Gothic architecture and was founded by Charles IV in 1348 as a place of rest and spiritual contemplation.
Křivoklát Castle is among the oldest and most important Gothic castles in the Czech Republic. It was founded in the 13th century by King Václav IV but was only finished during the rule of Přemysl Otakar II.
Just like Karlštejn, Točník is also inseparably connected with Charles IV. It was founded by his son, Václav IV. Točník was first mentioned in writing in 1398. From the beginning it was designed as a magnificent, representative and architecturally advanced building.
It was built in the second half of the 13th century by the Lords of Valdek and catches the visitor’s eye due to its massive cylindrical tower. In 1336 it became royal property. The most important stage in its development was during the rule of Václav IV, who had it turned into a magnificent palace.
It was built in 1381–1383 by the royal steel mill of Prague for the Křivoklát burgrave, Jíra of Roztok, who is known from Alois Jirásek’s novel Mezi proudy. From 1410 the castle belonged to Jindřich Lefl of Lažan, who hosted John Huss before his departure for Constance.
This representative manor was built by Jan František of Vrbna, the supreme chancellor of the Czech Kingdom, at the end of the 17th/beginning of the 18th century, i.e., the High Baroque Period.
This originally medieval royal hunting castle was rebuilt into a Baroque chateau in the 17th century. After its reconstruction it became the seat of the Celtic Culture Information Centre, which offers an interesting multimedia projection on the life of the Celts.
The chateau in Králův Dvůr near Beroun was built by Jan Jr. of Lobkovice in 1585. Before that an older building stood here, probably from the beginning of the 15th century, owned by the Lords of Buřenice.
In 1766, Antonín Maschek of Maasburg had a chateau and a large garden with a park built in the Meierhof. In 1825, Antonín Jan Oppelt became the chateau’s owner, and added to his property three Meierhofs with sheepfolds, a chateau with a park and pheasantry, a brewery, pub and mill.
The ruins of what was probably the smallest Czech castle can be found in the beautiful Křivoklátsko Protected Area. It is situated about 1.5 km southwest of Běleč. It was built between wooded slopes on a rock around which the Vůznice Brook flows, creating a natural moat.
The ruins of this castle, which was built in the second half of the 13th century by Václav II and where – according to chronicler Kosmas – Princess Ludmila was murdered, can be found 4 km southeast of Beroun. Tetín is an ancient place linked to legends from the earliest times of the Czech state.