The building represents an extant type of house of the poorest inhabitants of the city, who began to build houses in the area near the city walls. The house was built on ruins in 1720. From the mid-18th century it was owned by the Rein family, which is why it is called Rein House (Reinovský dům) in the city’s documents. It has been reconstructed several times. It gained its current appearance after an adaptation in 1810. Other significant modifications, especially of the interior, were done at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Czech Karst Museum has been located in the oldest burgher house in Beroun, Jenštejn House, since 1965. Nowadays it also uses the adjacent one-storey house no. 88, which visitors use to enter the museum. The former entrance with a beautiful portal bearing the year 1612 is now closed.
The Beroun City Gallery was founded in 2001 and was originally located on the premises of the Czech Karst Museum in Huss Square (Husovo náměstí). Nowadays it is situated in Dusl’s Villa, which is one of the most beautiful houses in the city.
Since 2001 the interior of Pražská brána (Prague Gate) has been used as an exhibition area by students of photography from the Film and TV School at the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (FAMU). This came about as the result of an agreement on cultural cooperation between the town of Beroun and the Academy of Performing Arts.
In the newly built residential area between the city walls and Havlíčkova Street, in Holandská (Dutch) Street, the town of Beroun opened the Dutch House (Holandský dům) in cooperation with its twin city of Rijswik in October 2002. Its ground floor regularly hosts exhibitions of (mostly) beginning artists as well as music and film events.
On the first floor of the Pilsen Gate (Plzeňská brána), where there used to be an armoury, is a permanent exhibition focusing not only on the history and architecture of this protected historical sight, but also on the whole fortification system of Beroun. The upper part of the gate can be accessed via the original medieval staircase, which is the same width as the walls.